Apply now for the Yunus&Youth Global Fellowship Program for Social Business Entrepreneurs. They are excited to have you join them to become a part of a growing community of young social business leaders that are leveraging their skills, experiences, and the Yunus&Youth ecosystem to further the United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agenda.
The Yunus&Youth Fellowship Program 2019 supported 22 amazing young people from different nationalities working on innovative solutions on the SDGs. In 2020, they will continue the momentum with talented people like yourself becoming part of the incredible community.
What is the Y&Y Fellowship Program composed of?
- Mentoring Relationship: Young social entrepreneurs and corporate professionals are connected by Y&Y to turn their business expertise and passion for social change into an actionable plan. Mentors are matched with a co-mentor and a Fellow based on mentors’ strengths and the needs of the entrepreneur. Fellows are educated through a structured 6-month online program, ensuring an effective transfer of knowledge and guidance due to mentoring guides, Y&Y monitoring, as well as frequent performance reviews.
- Business Plan Development: Fellows join the Y&Y online platform, an exclusively curated learning journey designed to meet early-stage social entrepreneurs’ main needs and challenges. With the support of their peers and mentors, Y&Y Fellows complete a series of assignments comprehending the following modules: Solution and Strategy, Revenue Model, Marketing Strategy, Impact Measurement, Partnerships, Funding and Grants, and Pitch and Storytelling.
- Final Online Pitch Competition: This is the very last phase of the Y&Y Fellowship Program. It is an opportunity for Y&Y Fellows to present their social businesses to a team of real investors, shape their presentation skills and test their pitch decks. Pitching competitions offer a unique platform where startups stand to gain early exposure and attention from investors and other stakeholders.
- Global Y&Y Alumni Community: Y&Y Fellows who successfully complete all mandatory assignments receive a certificate of graduation and join our exclusive Alumni Network. Being a Y&Y Fellow means having a support network of former fellows, business leaders, institutions and other like-minded social entrepreneurs around the world that will help them grow their business even further.
Yunus&Youth exists to make the challenge of social entrepreneurship easier. Y&Y was inspired by the work of Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus and his belief that companies and entrepreneurs can engage in business models that create real sustainable social impact. People around the world struggle with social problems: some lack of access to safe drinking water while others struggle with unemployment or insufficient health services (to name a few). Here is where social business comes in. These early-stage start-ups drive social change because their founders are close to the problems they’re solving and the communities they’re helping. Like GreenChar in Kenya, where Y&Y Fellow Yina sells affordable charcoal briquettes that reduce the risk of contracting respiratory illnesses. Or Bella Handmade Jewelry, founded by Y&Y Fellow Walaa, which offers employment opportunities to women in refugee camps in Palestine. What makes social businesses unique is that they are for-profit, but they’re not profit-driven—they’re driven by their vision to improve society.
They know that social businesses have the power to improve communities and change the world. But we also know that successfully combining business skills, financial sustainability, and social impact is hard. That is why Y&Y exists. Y&Y started when a group of people from around the world came together in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to connect with leaders in social business. That’s where they saw a huge potential: What if the current generation of business leaders shared what they know with the next generation of social entrepreneurs? A funny thing happens when ambitious young people declare they need help to shape the future. People help. Since that conference in Malaysia, the Y&Y network and team have grown—and it keeps getting bigger.
- Be a part of an individually tailored online mentoring program with an experienced mentor who will provide professional guidance;
- Participate in expert webinars with social business professionals;
- Increase your global network by being part of a global class of exclusively selected young social entrepreneurs;
- Receive support on focus areas and see your business grow and be taken to the next level.
For previous cohorts, Y&Y received applications from thousands of young leaders from all around the world and even more, candidates are expected for the 6th edition.
- Y&Y Fellows are selected on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated dedication and commitment to building a social business and solving a social an issue in their community;
- Willingness to receive professional guidance and work hard to grow and develop their social business;
- Being the founder, co-founder or having full decision-making power in the organization;
- Fluency in English;
- Generally between 18-30 years old with a few exceptions made for outstanding applicants over 30.
- Special consideration for:
- Solutions that represent an advance in the way of tackling a problem to accelerate the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals;
- Ideas that integrate new technologies;
- Innovations that specifically target problems faced by any of the following groups: youth, women, ethnic/racial minorities, LGBTQ+, refugees and displaced persons or persons with disability
Eligible Regions: Open for All