Applications for the Yenching Global Symposium 2020 are now open.
The Yenching Global Symposium (YGS) is an annual event that brings together people from different fields and across generations with a common interest: China. This year, the three-day event will take place in March 2020 and will comprise engaging speakers and interactive events on the topic of Sino-Sustainability: Reimagining Global Solutions. This conference will feature prominent international scholars and leading young professionals from a wide range of fields and will provide a highly focused, application-based experiential learning platform.
Theme: Sino Sustainability Report: Reimagining Global Solutions
China is a rising leader in a rapidly changing world. As China’s interaction with the wider international community continues to develop, the two will need to redefine approaches to the world’s long-term sustainability challenges. Sino-Sustainability: Reimagining Global Solutions will explore how China’s experiences could impact the rest of the world by examining China’s approaches in fulfilling demand, allocating resources, and pursuing longevity.
Subthemes: In tackling the broader theme of sustainability in a Chinese and global context, the symposium is organized into three subthemes, bringing together intersectional perspectives across the dimensions of politics, society, environment, economics, and technology.
- Fulfilling Demand
As the global population continues to grow, the world faces a myriad of challenges in meeting society’s demands while maintaining the international goals of sustainable development. On the first day of the symposium, delegates will discuss how China can help fulfill the demands of an increasingly prosperous but unequal global society.
- Allocating Resources
To escape the middle-income trap, China is reviewing how it allocates resources across traditional and emerging sectors, both domestically and abroad. The second day of the symposium will explore China’s structural transformations and its implications for the rest of the world.
- Pursuing Longevity
As an emerging world leader, China offers unique solutions to long-term domestic and international sustainability challenges. On the final day of the symposium, delegates will consider the long-term significance of China’s growth and imagine the future relationship between China and the world.
- Yenching Academy offers ambitious graduate students and young professionals from around the world the opportunity to come to China and be inspired by:
- a diverse body of global scholars from leading universities;
- practitioners from a wide range of fields including art, history, culture, innovation, politics, and business;
- speakers from renowned universities, enterprises, and international organizations.
- The Symposium is a platform for connecting leaders on China, across generations and across disciplines. It will help connect you with inspiring, like-minded peers as well as leading experts who share your interest in China. These interactions will take place at Peking University, China’s top university.
- As a delegate, you will have the opportunity to share your experiences with innovation while collaborating with others to generate fruitful exchange and construct frameworks for action on China’s most challenging issues.
- Finally, Yenching Academy covers all expenses of your round-trip flight, accommodation, and meals for the duration of the Symposium. However, they do not cover the cost of your visa.
Yenching Academy welcome applications from anyone with strong leadership potential ready to participate in nuanced interdisciplinary discussions on questions surrounding China and global sustainability who meets the following criteria:
- Born after January 1, 1990
- Possesses, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree in any field, at the time of application
- Is available for the entirety of the conference, March 27 – 29, 2020 (and any required travel time to and from Beijing)
- Has not participated in a previous Yenching Global Symposium or Yenching Social Innovation Forum
- Is proficient in English
- Holds a valid passport which does not expire within 6 months from February 2020
- Bonus: Has participated in China-related activities – academic, voluntary, professional, or extracurricular
Eligible Regions: Open for All