Registrations and submissions are now being accepted for the KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD 2020. The KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD is an international competition for user-centric product design, where the best of the best are actually put on the consumer market. The award enhances the design as a value and supports the production of items loved by the user.
Last year, they received a total of 1,289 entries from product designers in more than 46 countries. Past award winners have included hit products like the Kadokeshi eraser, the Nameless Paints, and the True Measure ruler. They seek any and all ideas that turn into real products. This year’s theme is “ the symbol heart” – Love, passion, bonds, cuteness, hope, attachment, feelings, life. An idea to transform and lighten up this world. A design that moves your heart the moment you see it, the moment you touch it. The target designs that they want to receive are for “stationery, furniture and all items generally used in working, learning and living scenes”.
- The competition accepts entries from any corporation, individual, or group that fulfills all the following requirements, regardless of their age, sex, occupation, or nationality.
- Persons able to make a presentation at final judging (secondary judging) in Tokyo. (May 14, 2020). The contest organizer will pay expenses incurred by participants for travel and lodging (up to two individuals for group entries).
- Applicants should consent to these Rules. In cases when an entrant is a minor, the consent of their parent or other statutory agent is required.
- Grand Prix (one winner): around USD 18,000;
- Merit Awards (three winners): around USD 4,500;
- Special prizes may be awarded.