“Intense, exhausting, competitive… and totally worth it!”
Deutsche Welle is looking for young people from all over the world interested in a comprehensive, exceptional quality journalism program with an international broadcaster. Candidates should have journalism experience or be passionate about switching to journalism from law, economics, the sciences or technology/IT. We are looking for open-minded people full of creative ideas. Specifically, we are looking for experts from diverse disciplines. You should also be able to think independently and develop own ideas.
Theprogram covers the range of skills a journalist of the future needs: TV moderation, multimedia storytelling, data journalism, social media, and virtual reality – in seminars, workshops and of course the DW editorial offices and our correspondent bureaux in Washington, Moscow, and Brussels. DW trainees are involved in long-term innovative, international projects and have been honored in past years with the CNN Journalism Award and the Grimme Prize. After the traineeship, the trainees usually continue to work for DW.
- Native speakers of a DW program language with excellent knowledge English and a good knowledge of German
- English native speakers with a good knowledge of German
- German native speakers with excellent knowledge of English
Candidates must also have completed a university or college degree or apprenticeship.
- acquisition of journalism skills
- seminars on all relevant journalism topics, conducted by renowned trainers
- placements with various DW editorial departments in Bonn and Berlin as well as in one of our foreign bureaus in Brussels, Washington or Moscow
- introduction to producing your own content for TV, radio or online formats, from generating ideas to technical production
- placements in Germany, Europe and worldwide
- technical know-how for TV, radio and online
- Trainee’s salary
- after traineeship completion, the prospect of ongoing contract working for DW worldwide