Duration: Three- Four Months
Supervisor: Research Officer or Research Associate
Position: Part-time (20 hours per week)
Founded in 2015, Centre for Social Change (CSC) is a not for profit and a non-governmental organization based in Kathmandu working via research, education, and advocacy on the changing socio-political dynamics of Nepalese society.
CSC, as part of its capacity development initiative is looking to recruit two-three individuals ideally between 20-24 years age group to work as an intern for the period of three to four months. Recruited intern will be involved indifferent research projects conducting under six thematic priority areas of CSC, namely, conflict transformation and peace building, democracy and governance, migration and human mobility, labor and employment, civic space and civil society development, and social development. Each intern should focus their research in one or two themes and core responsibility may involve from from idea development to the successful completion of taken responsibilities.
Objectives of the internship
1) Enhance the educational experience of graduate students through practical and guided hands-on exposure particularly in research arena.
2) Provide graduate students with an exposure to the working environment of a non-governmental organization.
3) Attract young people to continue serving as a social change researcher or practitioners in Nepal
Under the overall mentorship of CSC’s senior researchers and direct supervision of Program Officer and Research Associate, the intern will perform the following tasks:
1) Be a part of at least one research project that focuses on one of the thematic priority areas of CSC. Intern in their application should clearly specify two thematic areas of CSC that they are most interested in;
2) Compiling best practices, lessons learnt, experiences and stories related to one of thematic priority of CSC.;
3) Provide administrative, logistic, and programmatic support to the CSC’s upcoming public events such as seminars, workshops, and conferences where applicable.
At the end of the internship, each recruited candidate should submit one of the following items as final product of their internship;
1. A draft of research report or policy brief or
2. An info graphic of their research findings or
3. A blog with publishable quality or
4. Draft of two newspaper articles with publishable quality
CSC will not pay any salary for this position, however a stipend to cover the basic travel and lunch cost of Interns will be provided. The stipend amount will be in accordance with the financial policy of CSC. CSC will also provide transportation as well as daily substantial allowance for interns when they need to travel outside of Kathmandu for research related activities.
Other Relevant Information
1) The intern must keep confidential any and all unpublished information made known during the course of the internship and not publish any reports or paper on the basis of information obtained except with the written approval and authorization of CSC.
Criteria for the Selection of Intern
1) Interested candidate should at least be a final year graduate student. A fresh graduate or currently undertaking Master’s degree in one of the social science subject would be a perfect candidate.
2) Strong interest in social science research
3) Ability to write either in English or Nepali. Writing proficiency both in English and Nepali would be an asset.
4) Prior experience in CSC’s priority themes would be an added advantage. However, more important skills required to this position include candidates’ critical thinking, analytical, and high level of presentation abilities. This position also demands participants’ deep interests and motivations to begin carrier in social science research and policy advocacy work.
5) A commitment to work with CSC for three to four months and spending at least 20 hours per week either dividing time 4 hours per day or 2.5 working days in a week.
Interested candidate should submit their one-two page CV with 300-400 words long cover letter explaining the reason for applying to this internship at [email protected] by 15th of April 2019. CSC will contact only shortlisted candidates for further process.
For more information: