The Crossroads Emerging Leaders Program was inaugurated in 2017 as a joint effort between the Harvard Business School Club of the GCC, HBS Professors Tarun Khanna and Karim Lakhani, and The Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute at Harvard University.
The Program is a prestigious and a fully funded career development opportunity for students from across the world, who are the first member of their family—or the first generation within their family—to attend university and facing challenges of financial and social circumstances. Following a rigorous multi-stage evaluation process, exceptional students are selected from a diverse applicant pool to take part in this unique educational experience.
The ultimate aim of the Crossroads Program is to create a diverse pipeline of future graduate students at leading universities, such as Harvard, and future leaders from across an array of social-economic, racial and cultural backgrounds.
In 2020, the Crossroads Program expands to include more eligible countries and curated online sessions that will culminate in the weeklong Dubai experience held at Dubai International Financial Center’s Academy. Leading Harvard faculty members will teach an extensive and multi-disciplinary curriculum, that includes a combination of case studies, small discussion groups, discussion on potential career paths, and information on applying to Harvard.
The first part of the Crossroads Program will be entirely online and open to all eligible applicants. The Online Program begins on September 9, 2019, and successful candidates will be granted a HarvardX certificate upon completion.
To be eligible for the Online Program, candidates:
- Must be between 18-24 years old.
- Must hold a passport or national document from a country in Central Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, or the United States (note: any existing and official proof of nationality will suffice at this stage).
- Must be the first member of their family — or the first generation within their family — to attend university.
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate university program or a recent graduate from a university within the last three years.
- Must be facing challenges of financial and social circumstances.
- Must be fluent in English.
IN-PERSON DUBAI PROGRAM
Successful candidates from the Online Program will be invited to apply to the in-person experience held in Dubai and delivered by Harvard professors.
The in-person experience held in Dubai consists of a five-day Harvard classroom experience as part of a weeklong experience. Led by Harvard faculty, students will access curriculum that includes a combination of case studies, small discussion groups, discussion on potential career paths, and information on applying to Harvard throughout the sessions held in Dubai.
The program will cover the costs of international travel from select locations, board, lodging, and class materials. Visa costs are the responsibility of selected candidates.