Proposals are welcome for the Madre’s Viva Girls Grant Program 2020 which is a 12-month grant (financial support), to encourage girls and young women leaders in order to resource their ideas, initiatives or organizations.
MADRE is an international women’s human rights organization. They partner with community-based women’s groups worldwide facing war and disaster. Their mission is to advance women’s human rights by meeting urgent needs in communities and building lasting solutions to the crises women face.
The grants (financial support) will be awarded in 2 cycles. These two cycles differ in the timeline for receiving funds, but do not differ in eligibility or any other criteria. Based on your application and our eligibility criteria, they will reach out about the second (and final) phase of the application process.
Eligible applicants are community-based groups or individuals that:
- Works with girls and young women (up to age 30) who identify as Afro-descendant, disabled, Indigenous and/or LGBTIQ, and those from communities confronting climate crisis, war, conflict, disaster and their aftermath.*
- Is based in VIVA Girls geographic regions: Africa, Asia, Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Pacific.
- Is looking for financial support (a grant) for a community project that works to meet immediate needs and also creates solutions to community challenges.
- Has an annual operating budget** under $100,000 US dollars.
- Plans to implement, or is currently implementing work that aims to:
- Build a Just Peace – preventing, surviving, and recovering from war, to create lasting peace.
- Advance Climate Justice – defending against climate crisis and advocating for just economic and environmental policies.
- End Gender Based Violence – confronting abuses and creating protections for women, girls, and LGBTIQ people.
In addition to meeting all of the above criteria, priority will be given to community-based groups or individuals that:
- Are led by people who identify as girls or young women (up to age 30).
- Are applying for grants (financial support) for the first or second time with little or no access to funding from larger donors.
- MADRE supports initiatives through grants (financial support) of USD 100 to USD 20,000.
- They provide flexible financial support that can be used for general support and/or projects, to be used over a period of 12 months. At month 9, they will review progress with the grantees (successful applicants) to discuss possible project and funding renewal.