MADRE’s VIVA Girls Initiative’s first-ever open call for grants supports the leadership, power, creativity, and organizing of girls around the world!
Apply for a 12-month grant (financial support), and/or actively encourage girls and young women leaders to apply for a grant to resource their ideas, initiatives or organizations!
MADRE is an international women’s human rights organization. They partner with community-based women’s groups worldwide facing war and disaster. Their mission is to advance women’s human rights by meeting urgent needs in communities and building lasting solutions to the crises women face. Their history is rooted in progressive movements for peace, justice and women’s human right
The grants (financial support) will be awarded in 2 cycles. These two cycles differ in the timeline for receiving funds but do not differ in eligibility or any other criteria. Based on your application and eligibility criteria, they will reach out about the second (and final) phase of the application process.
- MADRE supports initiatives through grants (financial support) of $100 to $20,000
- They provide flexible financial support that can be used for general support and/or projects, to be used over a period of 12 months.
- At month 9, they will review progress with the grantees (successful applicants) to discuss possible project and funding renewal.
Eligible applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria to apply for a VIVA Girls Grant (Financial Support):
- Be a community-based group or individual that:
- Works with girls and young women (up to age 30) who identify as Afro-descendant, disabled, Indigenous and/or LGBTIQ, and those from communities confronting climate crisis, war, conflict, disaster, and their aftermath.*
- Is based in VIVA Girls geographic regions: Africa, Asia, Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Pacific.
- Is looking for financial support (a grant) for a community project that works to meet immediate needs and also creates solutions to community challenges.
- Has an annual operating budget** under $100,000 US dollars.
- Plans to implement, or is currently implementing work that aims to:
- Build a Just Peace – preventing, surviving, and recovering from war, to create lasting peace.
- Advance Climate Justice – defending against the climate crisis and advocating for just economic and environmental policies.
- End Gender-Based Violence – confronting abuses and creating protections for women, girls, and LGBTIQ people.
* MADRE recognizes communities in war, disaster, and their aftermath as communities facing an acute climate crisis, crises of extreme gender-based violence, war, and authoritarian or pre-authoritarian regimes.
** An annual operating budget is the total amount of money you spend to run your initiative/project/organization.
Eligible Regions: Africa, Asia, Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Pacific